Exterior Stair Lifts
Stair lifts are essential for people who have reduced mobility and struggle with stairs. They enable them to remain in their own homes and communities, where they may have lived for many years. There are many different types of stair lifts available, but they generally come in three forms:
Back to Top
- Straight stair lifts - for staircases with no bends or curves
- Curved stair lifts - for staircases that go around a bend
- Exterior stair lifts - to be used outside
What Constitutes Exterior Stair Lifts?Exterior stair lifts are specifically designed to be able to operate outside. They are often used in homes where steps lead up to the front door, or where access is needed to a garage or basement. They are also often used in gardens, particularly those that have pathways including steps. What makes exterior stair lifts different is that they are able to withstand the elements much better. They are generally made out of a material that is very resistant to corrosion, such as stainless steel, as well as having electrical components that are able to withstand water and rain. Generally, exterior stair lifts will come with covers for the battery pack and the seat, to protect against rain and leaves for example.
Where Can I Buy Exterior Stair Lifts?There are many companies in and across the United Kingdom that specialise in exterior stair lifts. Many of these companies offer a range of stair lifts, including straight and curved ones of course. Some of the companies you may want to take into consideration include:
- Dolphin Stair Lifts who specialise in making not just exterior stair lifts, but also stair lifts that can be used in swimming pools, allowing disabled people of all ages to use a swimming pool.
- Companion who make exterior stair lifts but only for straight staircases. This means that if the outdoor stairs go around a curve or bend, Companion would not be able to produce an exterior stair lift for you.
- Acorn who specialise in a wide range of stair lifts, including exterior stair lifts. All metallic parts in Acorn’s stair lifts are powder coated, which means that they are resistant to corrosion. They have also been tested and proven to be able to withstand conditions close to the coast, by being resistant to salt.
- Stannah who are one of the biggest players in the stair lift industry. They have a range of exterior stair lifts that can be fitted to solid wood, metal steps or solid concrete but only if the steps are straight. The stair lifts have also been tested and are proven to operate normally in temperatures between -10oc and 40oc.
Back to Top